320 Bolton St


PHONE: 508-485-0801
FAX: 508-485-3308

Upper Endoscopy Information

The Upper GI Endoscopy Procedure

An upper endoscopy is performed to determine the causes of abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, swallowing difficulties, gastric reflux, unexplained weight loss anemia and bleeding in the upper GI tract.  An upper endoscopy is performed to treat conditions such as bleeding ulcers or to remove objects including food that may be stuck in the esophagus.

The upper endoscopy enables Dr Curran to look inside the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum, which is the first part of the small intestine. An upper endoscopy allows Dr Curran to biopsy tissue in the upper gastrointestinal tract.

During the procedure, patients lie on their side on an examination table. Patients have the choice of a numbing spray administered to the back of the throat or anesthesia for the exam. Patients swallow a thin, flexible, lighted tube called an endoscope. The endoscope transmits video images of the inside of the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum, which allows Dr Curran to examine the lining of these organs.

Dr Curran can detect most ulcers, abnormal growths, hiatal hernia, precancerous conditions, and bowel obstruction abnormalities that may not show up well on X-rays. He can also pass instruments into the scope to treat bleeding abnormalities or remove sample tissue for later examination by a pathologist.

– If you take a blood thinner such as Coumadin, Plavix, Warfarin, Eliquis, Zarelto ,  Pradaxa,  Clopidogrel, Arixtra, Dabigtran, Apixaban, Rivaroxban, or Ticagrelor please notify my office as soon as possible.   You will also need to contact your prescribing physician regarding any 7 day adjustment to your medications or additional blood tests prior to your colonoscopy.  Let my office know adjustments made, not made and/or blood test results.  Call my office with any questions or concerns.

If you take a daily aspirin, please let the office know.  You will not be asked  to stop this medication.

ATTENTION UNITEDHEALTHCARE; UNICARE; NETWORK HEALTH CARE;  NEIGHBORHOOD HEALTH CARE SUBSCRIBERS:  If you have a United Health Care Plan you may require an insurance authorization or approval for your Upper endoscopy. Your insurance may also direct you to the facility where your policy will cover your procedure regardless of your physician affiliation or your choice of facility.   Contact your insurance customer service department (phone number located on the back of your insurance card) and tell the representative you are having an upper endoscopy that will be billed using CPT code 43235 or 43239 (depending upon findings at the time of your procedure).  Also tell the representative the reason for your endoscopy (i.e. abdominal pain, reflux, Barrett’s disease) and the name of the facility where the procedure is scheduled.   Dr. Curran does procedures at Charles River Endoscopy Center that is a free standing ambulatory center or UMass Marlboro Hospital Outpatient Endoscopy Center or Marlboro Hospital outpatient, both a hospital based facility. Ask if your policy requires an insurance prior authorization.  Please then contact Doreen at my office with the representative responses as your appointment will need documentation that an authorization and a specific facility is or is not required.  If authorization required, Doreen will then contact your insurance for the authorization necessary to confirm the date and place of your appointment and to submit a claim for your endoscopy.